Artikkel om 4-åring

Velkommen til LykkeligeBarn's åpne forum.

Forumet er åpent for alle.
Vil man ha skrivetilgang må man registrere seg.
Foreldre, pedagoger, lærere og andre kan delta i diskusjonene. Husk at eventuelle svar fra foreningens medlemmer står for deres egen regning, og ikke nødvendigvis gjenspeiler foreningens meninger.

Vi håper forumet kan gi en gjensidig innsikt i hvordan det er å ha med barn med særlige forutsetninger (bmsf) å gjøre.

Det er nå utført en rekke endringer på sikkerheten på forumet.
- recaptcha er aktivert for godkjenning av registrering
- Det er aktivert Spambot med IP sjekk fra kjente adresser.
- Man må nå validere registrering av ny bruker med epost som blir sendt til oppgitt epost før tilgang blir gitt.

Moderators: Moderatorer, Foreldrekontakt

Kariel
Medlem

Artikkel om 4-åring

Post by Kariel » Sat 28. Feb, 2015 7:12

Artikkel om en 4-åring klippes inn:

4-year-old has IQ in 99.9th percentile of population

When parents talk about how to better-educate their children, there's one group of youngsters who might be getting left out of the conversation--gifted children also come with challenges for their parents and teachers.

Dinosaurs, toys -- Ethan Elmore's room is what you might expect of a four-year-old boy's room. But then you start asking him about the pictures on the wall.
He lists off all the planets, and points out that Pluto was no longer a planet as of 2004, like it was when many of us were kids.
It's how a lot of conversations with a four-year-old genius go.

"I read him three books every night, and it's him correcting me on my vocabulary and dinosaur names, so it's a very humbling experience," said Ethan's mom, Karla Elmore.

She said she started noticing something was different about her son before he could even hold his head up. "He would not sleep, he would only be calm if he was held up to observe what was going on around him," she said.
Early on, Ethan could match pictures to words, and reading soon followed. Now, at age four, he'll get lost in a book about diseases. As for fiction books?
"Yes, when I get tired of non-fiction," Ethan said.

He's already doing advanced math and science as well. Just this month, he scored a composite score of 146 on an IQ test, placing him in the 99.9th percentile.
Julianne Hancock has given IQ tests to thousands of kids over her 30 years in education and psychology. She's met with some of the brightest children in the country, and knows that being off-the-charts smart comes with other challenges.

"I believe the biggest challenge is helping them live in a world where other kids and people don't learn the same way, be accepting and be a good friend, and be socially accepted," Hancock said.

It's something Karla has already noticed when Ethan is around other kids his age. "It's heartbreaking sometimes because he's seen as weird," Karla said.
It's hard to find a place where a child like Ethan fits in, and it's why some very bright kids end up losing their way.
"I think one of the reasons we develop these programs is that we lose a lot of highly-gifted kids; they drop out of school," Hancock said.
For now, Ethan is doing well in his private school, where he attends kindergarten, but joins the fourth and fifth-graders for some lessons too.
The older kids like to show him off. He's unique – just like every child – and every parent wants the same thing for their kids.

"I'm very proud of him," Karla said. "Sometimes there's that pressure…He's so intelligent I can't wait to see what he does, but as a parent, I think all of us – as long as he's happy, that's the main goal."

http://www.kob.com/article/stories/s371 ... PHL7MbTFBG
Kariel
Lærer/master i TPO. Blogger om evnerike barn på http://www.krumelurebloggen.no